Custard alla mandorla con cioccolato modicano
Posted on Friday 16th of September 2005 under
We've just finished a week-long cookery course, this is the first day that we did not spend 5 hours in the morning in the kitchen and we are cooking a custard sweet to enter into Sugar High Fridayâ€¦
I guess along the graph of food obsession we are way beyond the median.
The discussion went something along these linesâ€¦
- Today itâ€™s Sugar High Friday. I think they are doing custard.
- Custard? Thatâ€™s nice.
- What custard do you think we would do if we were not this tired from the course?
- Hmmâ€¦ we have those new spice chocolates of Bonajuto. They might make a nice base.
- That would be interesting actually. I wonder what would fit most, the white pepper, cardamon or nutmeg one.
- And almonds are in season, so we could have done an almond-based custard with the chocolate at the base.
- An almond-based custard? And exactly how would that work?
- Just crash and mash the almonds and add them to the normal custard recipe of eggs, sugar and milk. No cream.
- Would that work?
- Well letâ€™s see thenâ€¦
And somehow we are back in the kitchen. The almonds were mashed but still led to a grainy custard. If we sieved them some more have a custard with no grains in it â€“ which could be nice but the grainy texture works as well.
White pepper and cardamon where our favourites - the almond in the custard complented both very nicely.